On December 18, 1886, Rev. Adolphus Leroy Yount was
installed. From her Majesty’s domain, far off Nova Scotia, the
pastor came. A royal welcome greeted him. The Church Council, en
masse, met him at the station. The parsonage and church had been
fitted over and the people rallied around their new pastor with a
mind both to work and to make his labors among them pleasant.
mere change of scene or of physician may be beneficial to the
convalescent, not that the old scene and old physician are not what
they should be, but because the mere change is beneficial. So it
proved in this congregation. Under the combined efforts of the
energetic pastor and flock a new life became manifest.
A congregational paper
was issued called “The Church Chronicle.” The debt of $800 was
On October 24, 1888, the
name of the church was changed from the “Market Street Lutheran
Church” to “St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.”
The Swedish Lutherans,
having no church building of their own, worshiped in St. Mark’s on
Sunday afternoons. The Sunday school increased. The Church of the
Redeemer for members living in the Eastern section of the city was
started on its way.
During his pastorate,
the chancel was remodeled and the old pulpit replaced by a modern
Every Sunday found the
little church well filled, and on great festival days it was
crowded. The congregation was now faced with the question, should a
new church be built or the old one remodeled and enlarged.
It was decided to
enlarge the building, but with this decision, on the same day, came
the disastrous flood of June, 1889. Within a few hours, the high
hopes of this thriving congregation were swept away, and we might
add, so was the second bridge across the Susquehanna. Had it
not been for that flood, St. Mark’s might have had a remodeled
church instead of the large brick and stone edifice built in 1896.
Rev. Yount resigned on September 28, 1889 after five years of
service; 331 new members were added during his pastorate. It
appears that he continued to serve Lutheran congregations in Western
Pennsylvania as there are records of his having performed marriages
at the First Lutheran Church in Greensburg, Pa. in 1891 and he is
listed as founding pastor of St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church,
Greensburg, where he served from 1901-02. In 1903 Rev. Yount,
along with W. F. Ulery, edited and published, History of the
Southern Conference of the Pittsburg Synod of the Evangelical
He was born May 28, 1853 in Catawba County, N.C.
He was ordained 1877 by the Tennessee Synod.
Additional calls: Supplied St. Mark's, Charlotte, 1874-76; transferred after ordination to Illinois Synod, 1877; served churches in Illinois, Nova Scotia, and Pennsylvania, including First Church, Greensburg, Pa.
Rev. Yount was married to Leah Ellen Henkel, the daughter of
Rev. David Melanchthon Henkel. Together they produced 10
children, including Rev. Paul Yount (who also served St. Mark's)
and Rev. John Arndt Yount. His brother was Rev. J. Alonzo
He died in 1914 and is buried with his wife, who died in 1944, in