Rev. Henry Douglas Spaeth, son of the nationally
known Lutheran Theologian and teacher of Lutheran pastors, became
pastor in 1911. He came to us from Selinsgrove and was a brilliant,
gifted, and impressive expounder of the Gospel.
take care of the growing activities of the various societies of the
church, Dr. Spaeth proposed the purchase of the property just North
of the church and its conversion into a parish house. This was done
and completely paid for during his administration. This building
provided the home for the pastor on the second and third floors,
together with his office and meeting place for the various societies
on the first floor.
name of the church was changed for the third time: this time from
St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church to just “St. Mark’s Lutheran
Missionary Society progressed to distinguished service during his
leadership and he was also instrumental in binding together the men
of the church in the Brotherhood.
Pastor Spaeth entered his Eternal Home early in 1920 and was
succeeded by Rev. Paul L. Yount, D.D.